Inlays & Onlays
The Ins and Outs of Inlays & Onlays
Inlays and onlays are used to repair damage on the biting surface of an affected tooth. These treatments are used at IS Dental Care to help your decayed or damaged teeth become normal-looking and healthy once again, so you can go back to eating and chewing your favourite food items without pain and difficulties.
Inlays effectively repair the damage to a tooth’s biting surface, while onlays are used when more than one of the tooth’s biting cusps is affected. These indirect teeth restorations are used in cases when fillings are not enough to fill out the cavity (but the tooth structure is not enough to support a crown), and also to prevent the decay from spreading. You can enjoy your favourite food items once again with the help of inlays and onlays.
When Would I Need Inlays & Onlays?
You would need an inlay or an onlay if your tooth’s biting surface has been damaged or decayed. It is also better if you have the inlay or onlay treatment when the damage is still small, so you can still save your tooth and protect it from more serious problems.
What’s Involved in Inlays & Onlays?
The material we use in inlays and onlays are placed indirectly on the tooth’s biting surfaces to repair the damage.
- The decayed part of the tooth will be removed first, before the inlays and onlays are indirectly placed.
- We will take an impression of your affected tooth so guide us in making the inlay and onlay material corresponding precisely to the tooth.
- The impression will be sent to a laboratory, where the custom-made inlay or onlay will be made. A temporary restoration can be placed in the meantime on your tooth.
- The permanent inlay or onlay will be placed on your tooth on your next visit, restoring the healthy form and function of the once-damaged tooth.
Am I Suitable for Inlays and Onlays?
You are suitable for inlays and onlays if the biting surface of your tooth (or teeth) is damaged or decayed. Inlays or onlays effectively bring back the normal form and function of the affected tooth. At IS Dental Care, we will discuss your suitability for these treatments, to determine which course of action will give you the most benefits.
What Can Inlays & Onlays Do for Me?
- Inlays and onlays restore the strength of a damaged tooth. After the treatment, you can once again use that tooth to bite or chew on your favourite food items, without the pain that comes with a cavity or tooth decay.
- The material used in inlays and onlays look exactly like your natural teeth, so you do not have to worry about the restorations being too obvious. You will be able to smile, laugh, or open your mouth wide and no one will know about your discreetly-placed inlays or onlays!
- Just a small portion of your tooth structure will need to be removed with an inlay or onlay treatment; the healthy parts will be preserved and left untouched.
- You can look forward to the use of your treated tooth (or teeth) for a very long time, as inlays and onlays are guaranteed to be long-lasting.